All Collections
Do I need to register for Self Assessment
Do I need to register for Self Assessment

This article should help you identify if you need to register for self-assessment or not

Steven Anderson avatar
Written by Steven Anderson
Updated over a week ago

To send a tax return, you must be registered for Self Assessment.

You must send a tax return if, in the last tax year (6 April to 5 April), you were:

  • self-employed as a ‘sole trader’ and earned more than £1,000 (before taking off anything you can claim tax relief on)

  • a partner in a business partnership

You will not usually need to send a return if your only income is from your wages or pension.

But you may need to send one if you have any other untaxed income, such as:

  • money from renting out a property

  • tips and commission

  • income from savings, investments and dividends

  • foreign income

You can always check if you need to send a tax return if you’re not sure.

Did this answer your question?